Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Blake Update

I went to the doctor yesterday to see how ready we are for Blake, and we are moving right along! When the nurse went to look for his heartbeat, she was surprised at how low he is positioned. I have been telling Brandon lately that I thought he had dropped because my ribs don't hurt quite so badly and I cannot go more than an hour without having to go to the bathroom. I have also been having tons of contractions, but I have had them for a while. And they are not the regular (real) contractions, but the uncomfortable (becoming more real) Braxton-Hicks contractions. However, even the Braxton-Hicks ones can mean that something is going on and your body is preparing for labor, so I don't mind them all that much! Anyway, Dr. Adcock checked to see if I was dilated and he just said, "Wow." That can mean a lot of things, so I asked if it was a good "wow" or a bad "wow." He said it was good and that I am already 2 cm dilated. I asked him about how low Blake is and he said he thought he was pretty far down there too. I got really excited for a second, but then I remembered that women walk around for weeks dilated 2 cm, so that doesn't mean he is coming all that soon. And, Dr. Adcock said he doesn't think Blake will be that big afterall. He said he would be surprised if he was much bigger than Kate (which made my day)! When I asked about scheduling the induction, they just laughed and said, "We shouldn't schedule it yet, you're probably not going to make it until Halloween." I am not going to hold them to that, but it is nice to know that at the longest, I will only have to wait 2 weeks and 2 days to meet Blake!
Brandon has this dream of throwing everything in the car and speeding to the hospital (forgetting the fact that we live all of 7 minutes from the hospital), so he is excited that I may go into labor myself instead of being induced. Then, his Nascar father-to-be dream will come true! He is supposed to go to Greenville this weekend to do some work on his hunting land, but I am a little skeptical now for him to go too far if he doesn't have to. We also have a residency interview scheduled for Sunday night/Monday morning in Tuscaloosa that I have been given permission to travel for, but I don't know about that either. The last thing I want is to be far away or alone when I do go into labor! If he goes to Greenville, I think I will be taking Kate to stay with my parents so I won't be alone (and because they will wear her out playing). I guess you just never really know how or when labor starts, so I am just going to keep on with my normal life and pray that he is ready whenever he does come! We will keep you posted on any updates!

8 comments:

Emily said...

Oh my gosh. That's crazy. Sounds like little Blake might come early after all. You are braver than me - there is no way I would let Bret go off for the weekend this close but that might be b/c we have no family up here and I really don't want to drive myself to the hospital! :) Good luck with the interview. I know Brandon is getting excited.

Amanda said...

Haha...the "NASCAR father-to-be" comment cracked me up. Good luck over the next few weeks. I will keep you guys in my prayers! Keep us updated as I know you will :)

Lauren Cannada said...

yay! so excited that baby blake is almost here! now, i just need to plan another trip to birmingham.

Emily said...

OH I think it would be so fun to get to do the whole Nascar thing, I think! I was a little disappointed that my induction last time kept us from getting to do that! I know you're so excited about the end of the road and beginning of a new life being in sight!! Thanks for your encouragement and thoughts- I really liked the idea of "relearning"- that totally clicked with us. Hang in there while Brandon is gone- Jake was gone the weekend I was due b/c I hadn't progressed at all- all our neighbors were frieking out checking on me!

The Wilbanks said...

Yay! I know you are so ready to meet Blake. We will be praying for a safe delivery for you!

Robin said...

Very exciting! I can't wait to meet him.

Andrew and Sarah said...

Brandon! How the heck are you these days? Congrats on your kid and the one on the way...what a blessing! Sarah, Carter, and I are having a blast down in Mobile, but we're thinking about moving for residency. I did a month at Wake Forest (and met a classmate of yours-blanking on the name)...we really like Winston-Salem, but we'll see where God leads us. We hope to see you soon...God bless!

Unknown said...

Read my blog, you've been tagged

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers