Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Diabetes Free!

OK- yesterday was a dramatic day! I had an appointment at 8 in the morning, which is hard to get to when you have to get yourself and a little girl ready and get her to her friend Porter's house all in time for your scheduled appointment. But, we made it with a few minutes to spare! I had to drink the nasty, thick, sugary, flat-Sunkist tasting drink (which sends chills up my spine and makes me want to vomit) right when I got there and sit until I saw the doctor. That part wasn't too bad because I brought a book to read.
Then, I had to see the one doctor that I am not crazy about, and I felt like he rushed me. I know I am probably their least favorite kind of patient, but when things worry me, I cannot rest until I know the reasons behind my concerns. Anyway, he measured my belly and told me I measured fine and baby is head down, and as he walked towards the door, he asked me if I had any other questions. That is not exactly the way I want to be asked, and it reminded me how much I love seeing Dr. Adcock because he sits there and chats and makes you feel like he has nowhere else to be. I told him that I have been having contractions and that when I have them, the lower right side of my stomach is so tender that I cannot even touch it. He just waved his hand and said, "That doesn't bother me. Anything else?" I kept talking to him as he walked closer to the door and pressed the button on the wall that tells the nurses that he is finished to come put new paper on the chair/table thing. And back out to the waiting room to finish waiting my hour for the sugar test!
I went back to the nurse's station and got my finger pricked. The nurse is telling me that she knows everything is fine, most people have normal results, and she wants my glucose to be less than 140. The screen pops up and says 168. My stomach dropped, and she told me she had to send more blood to get another reading. I was upset, but I held it together through the checkout. All I could think about was how Gestational Diabetes can make for very large babies, possible low blood sugar in the baby after birth, higher risk for respiratory distress, etc. Thank you NICU for always making me think of worst case scenarios! I thought it was just hard to work there full-time when I was pregnant with Kate because I had to see those scenarios. BUT, it is no different when I am not full-time. I still think of everything that could possibly happen to Blake.
Another few things to add to my frustration... I went to check out and I told them that I really wanted to see Dr. Adcock next visit because it has been so long since I saw him, but they told me that I really needed to see the one other one I haven't seen this pregnancy. Why wasn't anyone listening to me?!?! Also, I had exactly $2 for the parking card machine. When I got down there, I waited in line for 10 minutes, and when I got to the machine, they had raised the price to $3. I had been there a little over an hour, and I had to put $3 on my credit card because I didn't have anymore cash! And, when I got to the mechanical arm to put my parking card in, the arm was stuck in the air, so I didn't even need the stupid card! What a day! I called Brandon, and when I was telling him about the bad morning, I just burst into tears. I told him that I had not been doing a good job of taking care of myself or Blake, and that I had already tainted his chances of a smooth, problem-free entrance into the world. He just calmed me down and told me that I was overreacting and that we have nothing to worry about yet, etc.
To end the drama, I called today at lunch to ask what my blood sugar was in the send-off labs they took after my finger stick. Good news- it was 131, so I passed afterall! I don't have to go now to do a 3 hour glucose test, yay!!! All of that drama was for nothing. I am very thankful that everything is ok and that I don't have to worry about blood sugars, big babies, etc. Just wanted to share the good news with everyone!

8 comments:

Robin said...

I am so glad you're test was fine:) I worry about all these things too. I'm excited about the smocking class!

Amy said...

I can relate to the parking situation. One time when I was 8 months pregnant, they raised the price, I didn't have enough cash and they didn't take cards. They made me walk to the atm machine in the hospital across the street. It was probably only about a mile but in the heat of august I was dying and so mad!

Amber said...

YAY! I am so glad you passed. I am a crazy person at the OB.....but I love it when they make me feel like I am their only patient and let me ask my list of questions!

Emily said...

I'm so glad you passed but I hate to hear that you had such a horrible day. Yeah, I recently found out Brookwood had raised the price to $3 when I had a follow up appointment about my thyroid. I guess they are just raising everything.

Jennifer and Michael said...

We are so grateful you passed...being a NICU nurse puts a whole new spin on everything! We are thinking about you!

Allyson said...

hmmm. Radbill? I only had dr adcock and Ross but had to call radbill a few times. I always hated it when he was on call but I heard the " I'm not worried about that" thing a few times.
I had the same kind of contraction pain only on my left side. Be careful if it gets to where u can't move! I never had true abdominal cramping pain. Just a stabbing pain on my side and back pain. When it got to where I could not talk or move I was in preterm labor! Who knew? Wouldn't worry bout it now though!
Sorry you had such a day! I hate that orange stuff too!

Family Snodgrass said...

Glad it all came out ok! I'm dreading that test!

Julie-Anne said...

Oy! What a day you had! :( Glad everything is okay with you and Baby so far!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers