Monday, September 29, 2008

Getting Ready for Blake (plus some recent shopping)

Brandon went to the Auburn game this weekend, so Kate and I stayed at my parents' house to relax and go through baby stuff. We don't have much storage here, so we have stored things at their house, and this weekend we sorted through it all! I went through all of Kate's clothes from newborn until now and organized them by size to put them in Space Bags (they are awesome by the way)! Piles and piles of clothes turned into 3 vacuum-packed, easy-to-move bags. I did find a few things that were neutral so Blake can use them, and I got out the baby bath, activity mats, Bumbo seat, etc. When Brandon got back in town, he loaded things up and we finally brought Blake's cradle home.

Kate has been loving her baby doll! She carries her around the house, makes sure she has her pacifier in, and pushes her in the stroller. She calls her "Baby," and she knows where she is at all times! The only thing that concerns me after watching her with Baby is that we may need to work on being more gentle before she is introduced to Blake. She holds Baby by her head and drops her whenever something more interesting comes along. Not quite ready to hold a real baby yet!

We set up Blake's cradle at the foot of our bed (it is kind of hard to see since the cradle, bed, and floors are all the same color wood). I found the cream colored cradle sheet and bumper at a consignment sale for $3, and it is in perfect condition! We washed all of his newborn to 3 month clothes, socks, hats, bibs, and blanket so it would be ready. We are going to clean out one of our drawers in the bedroom for his stuff soon. It feels GREAT to get this stuff done- not because I think he is coming too soon, but I know my energy level is dwindling by the day and I want to know things are done!
Now... if you care to see today's shopping steals:

Publix:
Lysol, $1.60 (b1g1 free $3.19, but I just bought 1) used $0.50 off coupon and they doubled it, paid $0.60
8 Dannon yogurts, $0.75 each (on sale $0.50 each) used $1 off 8 coupon, paid $3 for 8
Quaker oatmeal, $1.90 (b1g1 free $3.79, but I bought 1) used $1 off coupon, paid $0.90
2 Voila! meals, $2.35 each (b1g1 free $4.69) used $2 off 2 coupon, paid $1.35 each
10 Green Giant frozen vegetables, $1.75 (on sale $1.00 each) used (5) $1 off 2 coupons, paid $0.50 each
4 Toaster Strudels, $1.25 each (b1g1 free $2.49) used $1 off 2 and $0.75 off 2 coupons, paid $0.80 each
2 Ronzoni Smart Taste Pasta, $0.90 each (b1g1 free $1.79) used $1 off coupon, paid $0.39 each
2 Campbells Select Harvest Soup, $1.20 each (b1g1 free $2.39) used $1 off 2 coupon and $0.50 off 2 coupon that they doubled, paid $0.20 each
2 Dole Fruit Cup Packs, $1.33 each (b1g1 free $2.65) used $0.75 off 2 coupon, paid $0.95 each
Bananas, $1.03 (no sale, just needed them!)
Apples, $1.77 (saved $0.95 since they were on sale for $1.29/lb)
Used $3 off $15 CVS coupon and $5 off $25 Piggly Wiggly coupon for entire purchase
Total Value: $67.25
Total Saved: $51.77
Total Spent Out Of Pocket: $15.48

CVS:
Transaction 1
Covergirl Foundation $5.49
Covergirl Powder $5.49
Febreze Noticeables $6.99, on sale from $8.49
Total- 17.97
Coupons Used:
$1 off Covergirl
$5.49 off, B1G1 free Covergirl Face Product
$5 off Febreze Noticeables
$3 off $15 purchase
$3 ECB from last time
My total out of pocket was $1.68
I earned $5.79 ECB from Covergirl (so they paid me $0.30 to buy Covergirl)
Transaction 2
3 cans Pringles $0.99 each, on sale from $1.99
Dawn Dish Soap $0.99, on sale from $1.99
Dawn with Hand Renewal Soap $0.99, on sale from $2.39 (NOT an advertised sale)
Softsoap $0.99, on sale from $2.49
Gillette Fusion Razor $9.99
M&Ms $0.79 (just to make my total above 0)
Total- 16.72
Coupons Used:
$0.30 off 3 cans Pringles
$0.25 off Dawn
$1.00 off Dawn with Hand Renewal
$0.35 off Softsoap
$4.00 off Fusion Razor
$3 off $15 CVS coupon
$5.79 ECB from last transaction
$2 ECB from last week
My total out of pocket was $0.62
I earned $5 ECB from the razor.
I started with 10 ECB and ended with 10 ECB, so my out of pocket of $2.30 paid for ALL of this stuff that was worth $43.09! Brandon has a hard time understanding how you roll ECB and not lose money, but it really works when you split transactions up!!!

12 comments:

Emily said...

YEA!!! So exciting that everything's getting ready for your little man! We're thinking about y'all!

Ann said...

I am thoroughly impressed with your shopping (not to mention your organized pictures)! I am trying very hard to get to where my total is like that, but it's still a little over my head. I have most of those coupons and am headed to CVS later in the week. This has helped. I am going to study your transactions before I go. Hope you're feeling well!

Ann said...

Oh...where do you get the $3 off $15 CVS coupon?

The Slagleys said...

Ann-You go to www.thethriftymama.com and go down to her post on her CVS deals from 9/28 to 10/4 and she has a link for printable $3 off 15 coupons. Hope this helps! You should also check out The Centsible Sawyer Blog and Keeping the Kingdom First Blog that I have links to for their deals with matching coupons.

Alyssa @ KeepingTheKingdomFirst said...

I so wish I had some of your pregnant energy! Right now, I am too tired for major shopping. You did a great job!

Thanks so much for putting my blog on your blogroll!

Ole Miss Mom said...

You're doing a GREAT job! I did VERY similar transactions this week. They were pretty impressed with me at Publix!! :-) I love when they gawk at the savings!

Emily said...

That's so exciting that you are getting everything ready. Also, I am so impressed with your shopping. I told myself I was going to get into it but I never do - I just hit Wal Mart and price match other places' ads. I know it's probably not as good as getting the CVS bucks but maybe one day I'll learn how to do it!

Unknown said...

Hi there! I stumbled across your blog just now and wondered if you have heard of www.babysteals.com? It's a steal of the day website for baby products!

LB said...

Lindsay, do you think that Publix has the best deals of all of the grocery stores because they take all other stores' coupons? I am wondering if I should shop there instead of Kroger. So, they took a 3/15 from CVS?

I am also going to study your transactions, so that maybe I can get the same deals. I don't feel like my deals are as good.

LB said...

sorry, that should be Lindsey, not Lindsay:)

LB said...

sorry, yet another question. Does Publix always double coupons, or is there a certain day that they double?

The Slagleys said...

LB-Publix ALWAYS doubles coupons (0.50 or less), and they ALWAYS accept competitor coupons, even the $3/15 CVS ones! I think that Publix has higher prices on the shelf, but if you shop their weekly sales with manufacturer and competitor store coupons, you save WAY more than anywhere else. There is a good deal of stockpiling with their great sales, but it is worth it when you get the items for pennies! If you have any questions about where I got certain coupons, let me know because they are mostly linked from other peoples' blogs but I am bad at hyperlinking so I don't even try!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers