Monday, November 15, 2010

She Is NOT Shy


I sometimes think that Kate should belong to Kelly. She talks to ANYONE any time, loves talking about silly things, wants to stay up all night reading, always wants to be around people and says things that could make you stop in your tracks and say, "Did she just say that?" Most people who know Kelly already know she is this way, but it is always funny to be around when she meets new people. Kate is the same way. If you try to not talk to her, she will go out of her way to say, "Hi, my name is Kate." Even to strangers walking by while we play in the yard! Other times, she will say things that I have to quickly correct... some quick stories:
Last week, I was picking up my kids from the nursery after Bible study and a men's group was leaving their meeting at the same time. A "little person" was leaving just in front of us and my friend Jamie said her daughter pointed out the little man, so I thought I was in the clear. Until we were in the parking lot and he was a few steps from us, Kate said loudly, "Look Mom, he is a little boy daddy." I gave her a look and said, "let's get to the car." But she continued! Then she explained to me, "he is a daddy, but a little boy too." At this point, Blake chimed in too and pointed while saying, "A little boy" over and over again. I was MORTIFIED. The man was very kind and just smiled at us while I mouthed "Sorry." We had a little talk in the car about appearances, and how God makes each person different, and we shouldn't talk about it.
Apparently, the talk didn't work! We were out to dinner and a little girl (who happened to have an afro hairdo) said something loud and Kate stared until she was redirected to our table. A few minutes later, Kate said, "Did you hear that little girl with the fuzzball hair?" No You Did Not! Of course, I grabbed her arm tightly and said we do NOT talk about other people's appearances, EVER! We have been talking at home a lot lately about the way God makes people different and getting her to understand that she is not the definition of normal.
Let's hope these talks spare me from more public red-faced events, and her from hurting someone's feelings!

4 comments:

The Hill Family said...

My kids are always very quick to point out (loudly, mind you) when people are smoking. "MOMMY, he's SMOKING!!" As if I should chastise these adults. Crawl under a rock. Maybe they'll actually get through to someone, who knows?

Emily said...

AHHH Linds, that is hilarious. Don't you "love" those teachable moments?! One time Abby Jane pointed at a Middle Eastern lady with a head dress on and asked if she was "being Mary". You never know what's coming... Happy birthday to Blake, too!!!

Wanting What I Have said...

oh...we've had some humbling moments, too.

Jamie and Blake said...

hahaha!! i didn't know the poor man story continued...too funny!!!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers