Saturday, March 1, 2008

Trying new things



This is Kate trying some toast... she loves it because she chews/gums it until it is soft, but it is sooooo messy! I am used to the easy clean-up of cheerios and puffs, so this trying real food is a little tough to get used to. I have been giving Kate her own spoon while I feed her and she has been interested in trying to feed herself- but we are a long way off! I am so obsessed with not making a big mess that it kills me to let her sling a spoonful of carrots- which stain very badly- all over herself and the high chair. I am working on loosening up a little bit so I can make it more fun for her. :)

Another new thing is "NO NO." I have recently realized that Kate is starting to do things just to push my buttons, so I thought it was a good time to start teaching Kate what to do and not to do. It is funny though, because she really knows when I don't want her to do something, and then she does it. She has a huge toy box in our den, but she wants to play with my candles and coasters. She walks along the couch holding on, and she grabs the same candles every time, but I don't want her near the candles because they are surrounded by coffee beans, and I don't wante her eating them/choking on them. So I watch her walk towards that table, and I say "No No." She stops and looks at me. A few minutes later, she walks to the table, I say, "No no." She stops and looks at me. One more time, the same thing, but this time I tap her hand and sternly say, "No no." This time, she stops, looks at me for about 30 seconds, and then slowly curls her lip and cries. Even though it breaks my heart, I have to tell myself that at least she is tenderhearted instead of defiant! So, she no longer walks to that table (as of now). We will see how long the hand tap stays with her. Here is a picture of the sneaky girl getting to that table...



A few more new things Kate is doing are waving (I can tell it is a wave, but I don't think anyone else can), and clapping. If you say, "Yay," she claps and smiles really big like she knows she did something good. I know these are silly little things, but they truly fill my heart with joy!

Brandon's cousin, Christie, had her baby girl, Rylie, on Monday and one of my best friends, Jennifer, had her baby boy, Liam, on Thursday. I am so excited for them both because I know the love that they already feel and the joy they are going to experience daily with their new little ones!
My mom and I went to the Birmingham Area Moms of Multiples (no I am not having any multiples) consignment sale last night, and we got Kate some of the cutest outfits and pajamas. I love consignment sales and I am excited about hitting up Kids Market next week! What a great way to buy kids clothes since they grow out of them so fast!

2 comments:

Amber said...

I am the same way! I don't like making meal time a mess....but that is what it has turned into. Caleb ate sliced banana yesterday and it was everywhere (in his hair etc). He had to have a bath after breakfast! He loves frozen pancakes too (no syrup of course), yogurt, goldfish, etc. We are working on cheese. For some reason, he is not a fan! The sippy cups are a mess too. Caleb just shakes and throws it everywhere. I am not sure how I am going to get him to take most of liquid out of it instead of a bottle. Let me know if you figure out any tricks!

Allyson said...

I love that the little things melt your heart too!! Its such a joy to see each little milestone they hit! Mine are babbling a lot and really rolling over now and I'm just so proud!

Our meal times are also a mess and we are just in baby food and bottles! Both girls like to grab the spoon or hit it and whatever goes flying! I'm trying to get over my OCDness as well in this new stage :)

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers