Monday, May 3, 2010

Sound Machines & Other Important Things



Do any of you use sound machines? We sure do! We have always used one for Kate, because when we had her, we lived in a tiny condo and her bedroom wall joined to another condo. And then we used one when we had Blake because Kate was loud and because he was in our room for a while. We like the white noise/rain sounds, and we like it pretty loud!
I used one in college, and Kate used that same one until it recently broke. A while back, Kate started needing a nightlight because she was scared, so we started using the light projector one for her instead of a nightlight. She loves it! We usually love our sound machines... except for at 3 o'clock this morning. Our power flickered and they were gone! Kate's was off completely, and Blake's was a LOUD nightmare of birds chirping. Kate woke up immediately begging for her light, but she went right back to sleep. Blake didn't wake up (I don't know how), but I had to go into his room and turn off the birds and put his rain back on. Seriously, can they not put in a battery backup like my old-school model had? Who in their right mind wants to wake up to a host of chirping birds?
In other news- my sister and sister-in-law had their babies last week. Kelly called me early Wednesday morning as she headed to the hospital. I got to be in her delivery, which was not the most fun one for a previous NICU nurse. She will post the story on her blog soon, but I was just glad to be in there. It is amazing to see every time! John Burke is so sweet and little, and hopefully I will get my hands on him soon!
Then, Friday morning, Derek called and said that Stacy was in labor too. Seriously? We waited to hear more news later, and it was slow to progress, but baby Chloe was here around 5 that night. I finally got my hands on her Saturday morning, and she is tiny- 5 pounds, 5 ounces!
I have to say that it was perfect timing because Brandon had a pretty easy rotation last month and it was all ending this past weekend. He was able to watch the kids so I could be in on most of the action. The kids went up to the hospital 2 or 3 times, but it is no place for kids. They ate junk, tore up waiting rooms, probably annoyed lots of people, ate way too much junk, and just got bored! So, it was great that Brandon kept them home for most of the time. I am sure that is how he wanted to spend his off-time, but he sure didn't want to chase them through the hospital! Also, it was so nice because Kelly was still in the hospital, so we made a home-base out of her room while Stacy was in labor. Their rooms ended up being right next to each other, but Kelly was leaving as Stacy was coming up! We couldn't have planned it any better.

3 comments:

The Hill Family said...

I laughed out loud reading the part about the sound machines...we have one in every bedroom. Charlie's is identical to Blake's and the first time I ever heard it when the power blinked, I woke Mikey up and told him that I thought we must've have a nest of baby birds hatching in our attic. It's done that a ton of times. And Huett and Sam's is pretty old and occasionally it will pick up some random police scanner talk. The first time I heard it, Mikey was at work, I was paralyzed in my bed, terrified, and my parents rushed over because I was convinced there was someone in the house. Anyway...I totally know where you're coming from!Funny!

Lauren said...

Our sound machine does the same thing...so annoying! We need a new one for baby #2. I'll have to check into the "light" one...it looks pretty neat. Glad you are doing well. So exited for Kelly and Derek!

Wanting What I Have said...

We LOVE some sound machines!!!

Congratulations to you and your sweet family! We are so happy for y'all. Welcome baby John Burke and baby Chloe!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers