Monday, June 2, 2008

She Had Her Cake And Ate It Too!


We had a pool party for Kate's birthday. It was great because it was so easy to not worry about making a mess! We had family and friends come celebrate with us, and it was so much fun! We had BBQ that Brandon and Uncle Derek pit-roasted and smoked overnight, cupcakes, and ice cream sundaes. We had played in the pool all day, so we just stayed in our bathing suits, it was just too hot to care about being dressed cute! Kate had her own cake, so we just set it on her tray and let her go to town. It took her a minute to figure out how to get the cake into little pieces and put it in her mouth, but once she got it, I had to take some of the cake away... she was loving it! She just wore her diaper and a huge bib, and I even let her get icing in her hair! I am usually so anal about her making a mess, but I didn't even worry about it.

She tried to shove huge bites into her mouth, I had to help her get small pieces so she wouldn't choke on cake! She loved the icing in her hands. She was covered in icing and we were going to just dip her in the pool, but she had little cake bits all over... so we used the mist function on the hose nozzle and hosed her down! I know, it sounds redneck, but it was the easiest and fastest way to clean her up! Somehow, we did not get pictures of the hosing, but I think we got video. She will kill us if that ever surfaces!

Here is the dip in the pool making clean-up fun for Kate too! She LOVES the pool, so she was probably sad that we were not staying in it. But, we got pictures of her skinny dipping for the first time! Once again, she will kill me later! Thank God for pool parties for the summer babies!

It is hard to get to the presents when you are having food and then cake/ice cream, and the guests are babies that don't stay anywhere for long. So, some of the guests had already left when Kate opened her gifts, but she LOVED them! She was playing with her toys and waving the clothing items around. She just sat in her daddy's lap and checked everything out. I really was glad to get some new toys, because she was getting a little tired of the same old toy basket at home. I just refuse to buy toys very often, when a balloon or water bottle keeps her entertained! She should be satisfied for a while! She also got some clothes and a new bathing suit- which we always need! This child grows so fast!

Another birthday surprise- after the party, we put her in the grass and she just started walking all over the place. Like I have said before, she has been very selective about when and where she walked... and she would only do small distances. But, she decided that it was fun to walk, and she went all over the place. I don't know if it was because the grass was so soft, or if she just had tons of space, but we will be in the grass a lot now! So, she is getting pretty comfortable with this walking thing, and she gets the biggest smile on her face and she waves her arms around because she is so excited and proud of herself. Now she is easily walking around the house- she just walked from the den to her room for naptime! I love the walking to because it wears her out! We got video footage of her walking at the party too, so I need to learn how to post that so we can share those videos.

P.S. Check back tomorrow afternoon to see if we are having a girl or boy!

5 comments:

Amber said...

Happy Birthday Kate! It looks like yall had a great day. It is amazing how fast they figure out that cake is good and try to stuff it in as fast as they can! I can't wait to hear tomorrow. I hope the ultrasound goes well!

Jennifer and Michael said...

Great pictures, we had a great time yesterday and were glad that we could be there! Call me after your US tomorrow I am so excited!

Emily said...

I love the pics. It sounds like a great party. I can't believe you find out today what you are having. I am so excited for you guys and can't wait to hear!

Amy said...

I love the walking stories! Do you have a pool in your backyard? I haven't tried my baby (9 months) in a pool yet, but we have one in our neighborhood and I'm going to try next weekend.

The Slagleys said...

This party was at my parents' house at their pool. We live in a condo that does have a pool, but I haven't tried that one out with Kate yet. I don't love to be in public in my lovely maternity suit!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers