Monday, May 19, 2008

A Hard Weekend

We were in Greenville this past weekend for Brandon's grandmother's funeral. It was his step-mother's mom, but she was like a real grandmother to us! She had a very short battle with cancer, and after just 7 weeks, Jesus was ready to have her back home and all to Himself! It is never easy to lose someone, but I think after the family saw her suffering, they knew she was much better off with such a short battle. I guess the pregnancy hormones were a little out of control, because I would think that I was fine, and then I would have a breakdown (at times when I did NOT want to draw attention to myself).
When Brandon lost his mother, just 7 years ago yesterday, his brother Christopher played Amazing Grace on the piano in the funeral. He also played it in our wedding, and he played it again at this funeral. He did a wonderful job and the music brought everyone to tears. Ann (Nana) played the piano, and she always encouraged Christopher to keep playing, so she would have loved his music!
Nana left a legacy of love and generosity. She truly knew how to make everyone feel special, and she never treated Brandon or Christopher like they were step-grandkids for one day, which I know they have always appreciated. I know that is where Jody (usually mentioned as Kate's JoJo) got her ability to love unconditionally as well. If Nana ever saw any area to give to someone or to share with them, she jumped at the opportunity. She knew how to find someone's talent or passion, and bring that out of them and she really gave her time and energy to everyone else before she worried about herself. The pastor that led the service asked the family if they had any Bible verses that would describe Ann, and the first thing that came to mind was the passage in Proverbs 31 saying "She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her; 'many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.' Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised." She really did have the praise of her family and everyone that knew her because she lived her life clearly led by her personal relationship with Jesus Christ. I was really humbled at her funeral by the legacy she was leaving, am I really living up to the kind of woman, wife, and mother that the Lord has called me to be? Or am I just caught up in my day to day activities where I am the center of the world? Please keep the Dean family in your prayers as they (and we) are mourning the loss of sweet Nana!

No comments:

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers