Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Susie Homemaker? Maybe Not!


I spent a few hours letting this dough rise today... and it made PERFECT sourgough bread, which is my favorite! I was so excited, I had sliced it and was letting it cool a little more before I wrapped it in foil... and then it was Kate's bathtime. After Kate's bath, Brandon called me from the kitchen and asked me where I had put my bread. I had not moved it anywhere! Bailey was laying on the hardwood floor panting really hard- she had just eaten everything but an end piece!!! That little jerk! I was so sad- it is not everyday that I make homemade bread and spend 4-5 hours letting it rise, punching it down, letting it rise, etc. Needless to say, I could care less if she is sick all night- she ate my delicious bread!

Kate has had a fever virus the past few days, so I have kept her at home so she can rest and so we don't expose anyone else... so we came up with a few homemaker things to do. This is the pillowcase dress that I made Kate today. I had bought this fabric a while back and let it sit there for a while, so I thought it was time to use it. Instead of an actual pillowcase, I just cut my fabric to the width of a pillowcase, and about half the height for Kate. Then, I hemmed up edges and sewed elastic bands on the front and back top so all I have left to do is put ribbon through the armhole edges and she will have a cute little sundress! I will post pictures when I am done. This was so fun to do and didn't take too long- maybe I should make a business out of this!
Somedays I really do not feel like a true stay-at-home mom or homemaker because the day slips out of my hands and I have no "proof" that I have been busy, so today gave me a little boost that I really do productive things. I think it is so strange when you go from working a full time job where you are recognized for your work (sometimes) and paid for it, you clock in and out, etc. But when you all of the sudden are at home, you feel like (it may just be me) you are not accomplishing much and no one really knows what you are doing all day long! I even catch myself listing off things that I have done to Brandon and he wonders why I am telling him a play by play of each day. This is one area that the Lord has been working in me in the last year. He shows me that there is purpose in changing diapers, doing laundry, washing bottles and sippy cups, getting toys out, putting toys up, etc. It is easy to forget the huge task at hand of raising Kate to be a woman, wife, and mother one day too. I am truly blessed to be with Kate and watch her grow and change everyday. I love watching the little wheels in her head turn as she watches all that I do each day.

1 comment:

Allyson said...

Thats so funny about the bread! Our beagle ate an entire dinner someone brought us when the girls were born. Matt laid it on the counter and stepped outside. I was napping for 5 minutes. By the time he got back in, the dinner was gone. I never even saw it! Must love dogs

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers