Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Things I Will Always Remember


These are the loves of my life!
I was thinking last night about how our life is right now, and how it will always make me smile. This time last year, we did not have a child (one on the way, but not here yet), I was working a full time and part time job (AKA: income), Brandon was home a lot more, and I could pick up and go anywhere on my days off. BUT- I still would not trade my life now for that if I had the chance! We were so excited to have Kate when we did and I could not be happier to be home with her! I told Brandon before we had her that I would make any necessary sacrifices just to be home with Kate, and I meant every word! The other night, we had been discussing finances and other fun things, and it was bathtime for Kate. Once she was in and having a ball with her duckies, I could not stop smiling at how happy she is and how happy she makes me. I looked at Brandon and asked him if he ever thought he would be this happy, and of course he could never have imagined being so happy and so content. People think that free time and money is everything, but I am here to tell you that is not true! I wanted to share a list of things that make me smile now and I know I will always remember when...

1)I used coupons at Quiznos (as if it is that pricey to start with)

2)We emptied the change jar to have a Strawberry Limeade date at Sonic (half price happy hour from 2-4)

3)We received money as a gift and used it for diapers and wipes, and Bailey's vet bills

4)I refused to spend more than $2 for a pair of pajamas for Kate (consignment sales are awesome)

5)I split a $6 sandwich with a friend so I could afford to go to lunch twice instead of once (so glad Katie C. knows the importance of a cheap meal and the much needed lunch outings)

6)I made a side dish of caramelized onions because it was cheap and Brandon went on and on about how delicious it was

7)I stole the coupons out of the Sunday paper from my parents' house because I don't want to pay for the paper but I want the coupons

8)I waited until Winn Dixie had their mega meat sale to buy fresh meat and stocked my freezer until the next meat sale

9)Our dates were watching movies or our favorite shows we had on the DVR after Kate went to bed

10)We were so happy with what we had, not wishing we could have anything else!


I had someone say to me at work one time, "You should be cancelled, you are married to a doctor and you can afford it." Of course I corrected her quickly and said that he is not a doctor yet and that we in fact OWED money in student loans. I pray that one day when we do actually EARN money, we will be able to live as simply as we do now. This is not a complaining entry, just a little note to share how happy we are and how thankful I am to have my family and the ways we have figured out how to have cheap fun!

2 comments:

Kelli Stringer said...

Lindsey! What a great blessing and lesson is this post! I love being able to keep up with you, Kate, and Brandon through the blog! You, my friend, are an inspiration to me!
~kelli

The Slagleys said...

Thanks Kelli! We miss you so much! I am glad you were blessed by this post... I have just been feeling extremely thankful and wanted to share how God has blessed us!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers