Tuesday, March 31, 2009

$2.50 Goes A Long Way!





I didn't think I would be a fan of making my own baby food- but it is cheap and easy! I started with sweet potatoes and just cubed them and put them in a Ziploc zip n steam bag until they were soft. Then I pureed them in my food processor with a little water and put them in ice cube trays to freeze. Two sweet potatoes cost $2.50 and it gave us 48 servings for Blake! Talk about a good deal! I tried green beans and they just would not get smooth enough, so I will just have to buy some of those. I made carrots tonight and they turned out great! Just thought I would share my latest venture with you.
By the way, we found a house and we are moving in NEXT WEEK! Hallelujah! I will post some pictures of our "renovation" work. The countertops are sunshine yellow at the moment, but we are going to start replacing them later this week. Updates soon!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Yay for cheap food and a house! Can't wait to see pictures of it.

The Morrisons said...

Hey Lindsey, it is Ginny (Auth) Morrison. I found your blog a while ago and love reading about your family-what a beautiful one! I too had my two children while Matt was in school so I can empathize with many of your stories. Try canned organic green beans, but make sure that they have little to no sodium. Most organic canned veggies have very little but make sure. I think you will find they get much smoother. And while fresh or frozen is best, they cook the stew out of those beans for the baby jars anyway. Or there is one brand of steam frozen french cut green beans (i think green giant) that might work. I haven't tried but now that I am thinking about it, they might puree pretty well. Happy baby food making--it really is the way to go. You can give your baby fresh organics cheaper than the cheapest jars!

the finley family said...

let me know if you need any help or have any questions about making baby food... i made all of porters and it was great and so simple!! i was never really able to get green beans to a good consistency so i had to wait til porter was older to make them again (peas were wonderful though!)... see you soon! katie

Jennifer and Michael said...

SO young lady, I was very surprised to see your posting! Congrats on the baby food...it is cheaper and really turns out to be not as big of a hassle as you think. Green beans, especially homemade are really tough on tummies so be careful and watch for gassiness. So congrats on the house! Are you renting? If so I hope you are paying for any renovations...as a previous renter realize that they tend to be a little dumpy and the landlords are all insane :) Can't wait to hear the details...I think I might just call you right now. Miss you...

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers