Monday, May 18, 2009

Is There A Doctor In The House?




Crossing the stage to sign his name as Brandon Slagley M.D. It cracked me up that they had them sign their new signature and projected it on the overhead for the audience to see.






Brandon is officially done with medical school! He graduated yesterday and we had a great time celebrating. We went to brunch with my family before graduation and then we had everyone over for dessert after the ceremony. The kids did surprisingly well, considering that graduation was in the middle of naptime! Luckily, Uncle Derek took care of Kate and let her color, play with stickers, have some snack, and run around the corridor outside the ceremony. At one point, I turned around to see that Kate was putting stickers all over his face and saying that she "needed" more stickers. My mom rocked Blake to sleep, so I really could relax and see what was going on. It was still incredibly boring because it took forever. Kate got a good "YAY DADDY!" in at the ceremony. We are so proud of him- it has been a long road (and will be for 3 more years of residency), but he has made it look easy!
Other news- Kate will turn 2 in just a week and a half, and she is acting more like the "terrible 2s" than ever before. We are leaving both kids with their Papa G and JoJo this weekend to go to the beach! This is probably the last vacation with no kids we will have for a while.
Blake is starting to sleep a little better. After cutting 2 teeth together, then having a double ear infection, I think he just got into the habit of waking up around 3 or 4; but we are breaking that habit now. I have been letting him cry it out until I have tried to sleep for 45 minutes or so, and then I will put his pacifier back in and he will last until 6 or 7. I want him to be in a good routine for his grandparents so they don't have to be zombies with no sleep. At his 6 month appointment, Dr. Peters said she wouldn't be surprised to see him crawling soon (she said he was a compact ball of muscle). Last week, he was acting like he wanted to, but he couldn't get his arms to move with his legs. In the last 2 days, he has started getting somewhere! Slowly, but surely... I set him on one side of the rug and put toys in front of him just out of his reach and I sit at the other side cheering him on, and he army crawls!
I will post soon with more recent pictures of the kids since my wireless internet is working now.

5 comments:

Ole Miss Mom said...

Congrats to you guys! I know it's been a long road...and just a little bit left!
Almost there!!!

Jennifer and Michael said...

What a great day! Go Brandon! We are so proud of you BOTH!!! Congrats! The next 3 years will go by so quickly. I will call later today. Miss you

Kimmie said...

Congrats Brandon! Steven is still not a doctor yet...we have to wait until june 7th for that.:)

hope to hang out with ya'll again soon. lets seriously get a supper club in the works!

Emily said...

CONGRATS to Brandon and the whole family- it is indeed a joint effort, isn't it!!! So glad it was a sweet day. Can't wait to see more pics of the little ones and your compact ball of muscle- I loved that!
ALSO, I couldn't recall if I ever told you how perfect the diaper cover and burp cloth were. Thank you so much- my friend LOVED the burp cloth, and I loved how the fonts turned out! Great job, Linds.

Andrew and Sarah said...

congrats brandon...we're finally done...feels good, don't it? i say we all hurry to finish residency and then both of our families should move in together in that old shack- of-a-house by huntsville hospital that you stayed in that summer we met...we should have plenty of room!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers