Thursday, July 10, 2008

Gross, Gross, Gross!

Second post in one day, but it had to be written while it was fresh on my mind!
This is not for someone with a weak stomach or who is about to eat!

Tonight, I made a delicious dinner of creamy pork chops (a new recipe that turned out great... a little long, but I may post it) and fresh steamed broccoli, along with some homemade sour cream biscuits (I will put the recipe at the end of the post). I washed the broccoli really well because I got it from Aldi (a discount grocery store in Birmingham that I felt shady buying produce from) and put it in the steamer basket on the stove. We sit down to a nice dinner and I am enjoying every bite until I go for another bite of broccoli... my fork almost dug right into a WORM!!! Somehow, this sucker was wedged up in the floret (the tree) and didn't like being steamed, so it had wiggled out some and was hanging onto my plate. YUCK! I almost threw up in my mouth, so I handed my plate to Brandon so he could inspect it to make sure it wasn't some normal part of the broccoli- nope, just a worm! I obviously could not eat anymore, and I was so so so glad that I had not made this for other people. I am about to take a friend dinner as she just had a baby, and thankfully I didn't make this for her. I am so disappointed in my Aldi produce- I gave it a chance, and it failed! Back to just buying milk and boxed goods there (I am not giving up completely because their milk is just $1.99 a gallon). I thought of posting a picture of this incident, but I gagged again, so you will just have to live with a lovely mental picture! This reminds me of the time we opened a box of Jiffy cornbread and a fly flew out of the paper package inside- that was another YUCK dinner night! Is there a way to super wash broccoli all up in the florets because that nasty creature was way up in there! I guess for now, it is back to bags of frozen broccoli... so sad! Sorry for the grossness!

Sour Cream Biscuits (not low fat, but delicious!)
1 cup self-rising flour
1 stick of butter, melted
1/2 cup sour cream
Mix these together and drop into either a 6 regular muffin tin or a 12 mini muffin tin and bake at 450 for 15 minutes.
These taste so good and rich, they almost taste like a not-so-sweet shortbread.
Hope you enjoy!

5 comments:

Ole Miss Mom said...

GOOD TO KNOW!!!!!!!!! I've shopped at ALDI once and haven't gone back.......I think I'll stick to my Wed Extra and get the produce that's on sale that week!
I'd rather stalk Publix and CVS to get deals (or freebies) on name brand stuff than go for an unknown brand.......

I'm so sorry! It makes my stomach turn just thinkin' about your dinner! GLAD YOU SAW IT!!!

Milla said...

gross gross gross is right! That's rough... I love the "I almost threw up in my mouth" line. I'll watch my broccoli from now on!

Unknown said...

You just killed any chance that I might start eating broccoli. My green vegetables consits of cucumbers, fried green tomatoes, fried okra and green beans and I'm not even sure if two of those count as vegetables.

The Slagleys said...

I have been told that I was being a little harsh to Aldi... I guess worms could be in any produce from any store- it just wasn't Aldi's day! I guess worms are on lots of fruits and veggies, but it sure didn't help to find one at dinner!

Allyson said...

ok that is really disturbing.. I buy fresh broccoli all the time. Gross.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers