Friday, February 20, 2009

Not Always Perfect

The other morning at Bible study, we were talking about how tempting it is to be jealous of other people and their lives just by how great they sound on their blogs. People usually put their best foot forward on blogs, whether it is to impress others or just not to keep a record of the bad things. In my mind, I tend to remember the bad things I hear and see more than the sweet stuff (I know- it is an awful trait), so I don't really want others to always remember the bad things about me or my family. Even if I put up cute pictures and tell cute stories about the kids or Brandon, let me be CLEAR: my life is not always fun!
For example: Brandon and I are in Atlanta right now because he is taking the final step of his boards exams before graduation. He asked if I would come along for the trip to "get a break." Let me set it up for you, it sounds great!
Kate is with my sister during the day and my parents at night.
Brandon and I did Priceline to find a cheap place to stay, and we got a really nice suite for $50 a night!!! We couldn't believe they accepted that price, we should be paying closer to $200 a night!
We took Blake with us because I am still nursing him, and he is pretty easy to just take with you wherever you go.
I brought books to read and a dress for Kate and bubble suit for Blake that I have pleated and are ready to be smocked.
We get to the hotel and the lady at the front desk extends our checkout time to 5 pm for no extra charge because we weren't sure when Brandon would be done and she didn't want me and Blake to have to hang out in the lobby waiting on him.
Our room is super nice- the suite has a full office area, kitchenette, very large bathroom with separations from the shower, tub and vanity areas, french doors into the bedroom from the living room, flat screen tv, etc.
We ordered a yummy meal last night that I can eat the leftovers for lunch while Brandon is gone.
Fast forward to 9:30- Blake is screaming his brains out! He has not been sleeping well for the past week or so, but I thought it was just a growth spurt or something that would pass in a night or two. NOT SO- he screamed and screamed and screamed. I put him to bed and his eyes were so red and heavy, but right when I would lay him down- screaming! He finally fell asleep and I was thrilled to get in this extra fluffy king size bed that feels like a piece of heaven.
12- screaming, screaming, and more screaming. I finally just fed him, which I hate to do at night when it has not been even 3 hours because it starts such bad habits. (Disclaimer- Blake is almost 4 months old and my pediatrician even agrees that he needs to be going longer than that at night, but a little baby absolutely needs to eat that often.) I laid him down- screaming.
3- screaming again! I tried to let him cry it out, but I heard my neighbor in the room next door slam her door, so I thought she didn't want to hear a screaming baby- so I fed him again. He slept in his pack-n-play for maybe an hour, but he would not calm down, so he slept on me after that.
6:15- Brandon left to go take his test and I thought I would get a little more sleep... screaming! After this feed, he did not want to go back to sleep for a little while, so we were up for the day. Wow, this has not been the break I thought I was getting. He is exhausted this morning, so he is napping right now, and I am about to try to catch a wink of sleep myself. He is on Zantac for his reflux, but I am not so sure that it is working very well since he cannot lay down for very long before becoming extremely uncomfortable. I have already called the pediatrician's office to ask about trying some rice cereal or a different medicine, I am just waiting to hear back. I just know that if I don't start getting some sleep (longer than 2 1/2 hours at a time), I might just lose my mind!
How was that for a realistic post? Sorry for the whining, but I thought that would put a little perspective on what life is really like in our house/hotel today.

9 comments:

Chelsea said...

At work and browsing through one of my friend's blogs one day, I discovered your blog and could semi-relate. I don't have two children, but I, too, have a 4 month old. She, also, has been going on and off through a not sleeping phase, so I can sympathize. We know Avery is teething a bit and have congratulated ourselves on getting her to bed earlier (before she wouldn't fall asleep for the night until 10 p.m.). However, we experienced a similar night last night that you just described. I dislike having to nurse her and start the same bad habits you described, but sometimes it's the only thing that works for a couple of hours!

Thanks for your realistic post, helping other mommies feel not so incompetent.

Ole Miss Mom said...

Oh I SOOO agree. I tell people you are getting a SLIM glimpse into my life on my blog. I'm only telling you what I want to tell you. Someone told my mom that she thought I had a "fairytale life". WOW...far from that! I hope people don't draw an overall conclusion of me JUST from my blog.

I mean, would people still read if I posted every time I yelled at my kids? Fought with my husband? SINNED!?! That wouldn't make for a very nice blog.

I try to put some struggles we have...we are human. But I do try and keep my blog happy go lucky!

You never know what goes on behind closed doors!

Hang in there with Blake! I know those nights can be so frustrating!

jane said...

prevacid worked better for e than zantac ...i'm guessing it is super short trip- but i would've loved to have seen you while you were in atl!

The Barkers said...

When I went to James' 2 month appointment last week the pediatrician told me that I could pump and put 1-2 teaspoons of rice cereal in his bottle and it should help with the spitting up on top of the Zantac. I haven't tried it yet- but we'll see.

Mary Beth said...

oh man! i'm sorry.. I had a night like that last night - the screaming and all. I'm sorry, but we'll make it through!! I keep hearing it is temporary - even if it doesn't feel that way!

Emily said...

Oh my gosh. I'm so sorry you had such a horrible night. Let us know if we can help you guys out in any way when you get back in town. Brandon could always bring Kate up here and they could go to the park with Bret and Mason. At least, that would quiet the house down some for you guys. Oh - and I love the "honest blog". I'm so much like you - but I think it's good to be honest about what "real life is like". It's hard with young babies. And, I think the women who pretend like it's always perfect are not letting themselves vent and get support and causing other moms to feel inadequate. Just remember - it gets better. (you'll have to remind me of that point in a few months too :) ).

Abbie said...

Charlie is on Prevacid. It doesn't really make him spit up less but the FIRST DAY he took it, he began sleeping longer stretches. Keep us posted! I hope it gets better soon!

Ann said...

Wow! So many babies on medicine for reflux. Andrew is not doing well with the spit-up and I think it's messing up our nights. Your night sounds like my nights. Except Andrew is only 3 weeks old. How many times do you typically feed him? And can you give me an example of how you knew to get him on medicine? Andrew is gaining quite a bit of weight, so I just figured he doesn't need medicine. (I am going to ask my ped. when I go next week) I'm just surprised how many people commented on their baby being on something for reflux.

Jennifer and Michael said...

I hate that things don't always go as planned....I hope that Brandon was rested enough to do well on his test! Hang in there you are a great mom!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers