Monday, January 14, 2008

Plans Change... Move On

I realize more every day that once a child comes into your world, you have to be flexible. Some people let children rock their entire world and they will not go out to dinner because of bedtime, or they will not go shopping during the day because of feeding times or nap times. I have tried very hard since having Kate to keep going with my life and just take her with me! For instance, when we want to go to dinner, we just put Kate in her P.J.s and bring a bottle with us. I know that she probably won't go to sleep right away, but I know that she will always fall asleep in the car on the way home. I have found that Kate is a pretty easy-going baby, and I would like to think that it is because she goes with the flow wherever she is. For example, when we went to the Auburn vs. Alabama game, we took Kate to the tailgate and she napped in her carseat for over an hour and a half with everything going on around her. I am so glad that she does go with the flow, because I know I would feel a little trapped if I never got out.
Another example of the need for flexibility... We went to church yesterday and we were planning on meeting my family for lunch at 12:30. Brandon and I even left right after the sermon because (as usual) Pastor Reeder went a little over. But, once we got to the nursery to pick Kate up, she wasn't even in the room. They had her strolling the halls because she was done with all of the other kids in the nursery. So we waited for them to bring her back and then we got stuck talking to people once the real crowd let out. Plans change! I had to call my mom because we didn't even leave the church until 12:30, and they just ordered for us and our food was ready when we got there. Whenever people ask me if I have any advice, it is BE FLEXIBLE!
I was thinking about that just this weekend as I was at Wal-Mart with Kate and it was way past time for a nap. I have a grocery cart cover that she sits in because those carts are disgusting, and it is a little padded. She was so tired that she leaned forward and grabbed the front of the cart and put her head on the padded part and fell asleep! People were walking by and laughing as they saw her passed out strolling along in Wal-Mart. That was just another time that I was glad that she is used to being on the go!
By the way, this picture has nothing to do with this story, I just wanted to post it on here.

1 comment:

Allyson said...

I totally agree with you! Its tough to get the girls out but at 4 weeks my sis and I took them in their baby bjorns to christmas village! I try to not let them dictate my schedule. Of course we are a little early for a real schedule- we have more of a routine, but if you are flexible they will be too! And I love the pics!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers