Sunday, August 3, 2008

(Un)Eventful Weekend

We have had a pretty relaxing weekend here at home. Brandon got the day off on Friday, so we picked veggies from the garden and made tons of fresh goodies.
I love it when you can go outside to pick fresh green tomatoes off of this:

And fry them up to look like this:

Also, when you can take your fresh squash from here:

And turn it into squash casserole like this:

We took our casserole to a potluck dinner of Bible study friends on Friday night, so I hadn't tasted it before we went, but it seemed to be a hit.
Saturday, we were pretty lazy and watched movies and played with Kate at home. It has been so hot lately that it just about kills me to be outside for long, so we have found lots of things to do inside. Luckily, Kate loves to read, so we spend lots of time reading! It is funny to have Brandon home and stay inside because he says he feels completely non-productive. I guess I have gotten used to being a home-body and staying home with Kate, even if it means playing inside and staying close to home for naptimes. Today, we actually made it to the early service and it was great. Usually, Kate sleeps into the 7:00 hour and we just haven't gotten ourselves together in time, so we hadn't successfully made it to that service, and then the 11:00 service hits right at naptime and she does NOT do well if you try to keep her in the nursery with other cranky kids. When we went to pick her up, she was happily playing and was excited to see us, so this may be our new routine.
About the naptimes... Kate has been doing much better! I had to take some advice from the book Baby Wise and from some friends and just put my foot down. This book says that as the mom, I should decide when naptime is and when it is time to give it up. Even though we had some days of Kate just whining for the entire time in her room, I stuck with it and she is back to taking good naps twice a day. My pediatrician told me that most babies should be taking 2 naps until around 18 months (I know every child is different and this is NOT the case for all babies, but Kate has always been a good sleeper, so I thought she would fall under the category of "most babies"). I think these teeth are the culprit for the lack of sleep recently though.
Joe (the extremely loud guy that lives upstairs) update... Last night, Brandon was out by the grill while Joe was grilling too. Brandon said the first thing Joe said was that he was sorry for the noise that night that I left him the note. It turns out that he was home, but he was sleeping so heavily that he didn't hear me knock or his extremely loud TV. Ironically, he made the comment that his first wife hated that he would fall asleep with the tv on loud and not hear anything either. He has gotten better about the blatant noise, but we still hear his every step, his toilet flushing, and we still count pushups. I guess those are things that will not change in this old building. I was very glad though that he apologized, and Brandon jokingly told him that you just can't mess with a pregnant momma that wants precious sleep when her child is sleeping. At least he is conscious of the noise situation now.
Anyway, that is about it for us recently. I go in first thing in the morning for my glucose challenge test... yikes! I hope the blizzard I had today does not linger in the system- I want to be Diabetes free!

3 comments:

LB said...

okay, I have some nap questions. Do you just put Kate in her bed at the same times everyday, and just leave her in there and she eventually falls asleep? We are still having so much sleep trouble. Ada is waking up so early and then not wanting to take a morning nap, and instinct tells me that she is not getting enough sleep, which is causing the cycle of her waking up early not getting enough sleep. We are going to the pediatrician on Wednesday, so hopefully he will have some answers.

The Slagleys said...

I do just put her down around 10 and 2 every day, even if she is not acting tired. She sometimes whines for a while, but she almost always falls asleep eventually. I think now she just knows that she is going to go down for a nap, even if she is not acting like she needs one. Especially with her walking, she is definitely more tired than she was a few months ago, so I am sticking to my guns for naptime. Hopefully your pediatrician will have some good info for you!

Brittny said...

Hey! My mom actually found your blog while looking at a bunch of other ones and asked me if we knew you. I told her I did and that your husband was the "other" Brandon at CMMA. Your little girl is adorable and congrats on the boy on the way! We love having one of each and know you will too. Glad things seem to be going well! We have a blog too, you'll have to check it out. It's www.thehemphills.blogspot.com, Christopher has grown up so much since we moved away. Good luck with everything!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers